Are you eager to prove your expertise in the world of Agile methodologies? Look no further than the SAFe exam – the ultimate challenge for those seeking to establish themselves as leaders in the field of Scaled Agile Framework.
But with great opportunity comes great preparation. The SAFe exam is no easy feat, and without proper planning and diligence, you may find yourself falling short of your goals. That’s why we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll provide you with essential steps and strategies for SAFe exam preparation, so you can confidently tackle this challenge and emerge victorious.
Whether you’re an experienced Agile practitioner or a newcomer to the field, our comprehensive guide will equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to ace the SAFe exam. So let’s dive in and discover what it takes to succeed in this exciting and rewarding endeavour.
Understand the Exam
To begin your SAFe exam preparation journey, it is essential to understand the exam structure and format.
The SAFe certification exam consists of 45 multiple-choice questions and is timed for 90 minutes.
The exam covers various aspects of the Scaled Agile Framework, including the Lean-Agile mindset, SAFe principles, and SAFe practices. The questions are divided into different categories, such as Agile development practices, product development flow, and lean-Agile leadership.
By familiarising yourself with the SAFe exam structure and requirements, you will be better equipped to create an effective study plan and maximise your chances of success.
Prerequisite for the exam
To be eligible to take the Leading SAFe exam, there are certain prerequisites that need to be fulfilled. These include attending the mandatory two-day Leading SAFe® class, which provides access to all study materials and the exam.
Candidates must also have at least five years of expertise in project management, business analysis, product development, testing, software development, and Scrum, the most well-known form of Agile.
Scaled Agile, Inc. business partners offer the Leading SAFe® class, which can be found on their website. It is important to shop wisely as prices can vary from INR 57k to 68K.
The exam format is a web-based, closed book multiple-choice timed exam, which includes 45 questions to be completed within 90 minutes. The passing score for the exam is 77%, which means that candidates must answer at least 35 questions correctly.
If taken within 30 days of course completion, the first exam attempt is covered by the course registration cost. The price of a retake, however, is $50.
Strong Understanding Of The Specific Topics
- Lean-Thinking People and Agile Teams
- Lean Business Operations
- Strategy Agility
- Team and Technical Agilist
- Agile Product Delivery
- Customer Centricity and Design Thinking
- Develop on Cadence; Release on Demand
- Lean-Agile Leadership
- Leading by Example
- Mindset and Principles
- Leading Change
- Lean Portfolio Management
- Strategy and Investment Funding
- Lean Governance
Being well-versed in these topics is crucial to successfully passing the SAFe certification exam. By focusing on each section and understanding the key concepts, you can better prepare for the exam and increase your chances of passing.
Attend Training Courses
Attending SAFe training courses is an excellent way to prepare for the SAFe exam. SAFe training courses are designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the Scaled Agile Framework, its principles, practices, and roles. Here are some tips for getting the most out of SAFe training courses:
- Choose the right course: There are various SAFe training courses available, such as Leading SAFe, SAFe Scrum Master, SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager, and more. Choose a course that is relevant to your role and level of experience.
- Participate actively: Active participation is essential in SAFe training courses. Ask questions, participate in discussions, and engage with the instructor and other participants to deepen your understanding of the material.
- Take notes: Taking notes is an effective way to retain information and reinforce concepts. Write down key points, definitions, and examples provided in the course to review later.
- Apply what you learn: Applying what you learn in the course to real-life scenarios can help you understand the concepts better and make them more relevant. Try to apply the concepts you learn to your current projects or work environment.
- Review the material: Reviewing the course material regularly can help you retain the information better and reinforce your understanding of the concepts. Review your notes, the course slides, and any other resources provided in the course regularly to stay up-to-date with the material.
Take Practice Tests
Taking practice tests is an essential step in SAFe exam preparation. Practice tests can help you identify areas where you need to focus your study efforts and get a feel for the types of questions you can expect on the actual exam.
- Choose a reputable source: Make sure to choose practice tests from a reputable source, such as the Scaled Agile website or a trusted SAFe training provider. Avoid relying on random websites or unverified sources, as they may provide inaccurate or outdated information.
- Analyse your results: After taking a practice test, analyze your results carefully to identify areas where you need to improve. Focus your study efforts on these areas, and retake the practice test after some time to track your progress.
- Take multiple practice tests: To get a more comprehensive understanding of the exam format and types of questions, take multiple practice tests from different sources. This will help you develop a deeper understanding of the material and prepare you for any surprises that may arise during the actual exam.
- Use practice tests as a learning tool: To determine if you are adequately prepared for the examination, take as many mock tests as possible. Practice tests are a crucial step in getting you ready to attend the actual exam. They not only provide you with sample questions but also build confidence and get you mentally prepared for the time duration. Mock tests help you understand the pattern of the examination and how to apply various techniques to crack it. They also prepare you with a sense of time management while answering each question, so you know how much time is required for which type of question.
Participate in Study Groups
Participating in study groups is an effective way to prepare for the SAFe exam. Study groups allow you to collaborate with other SAFe practitioners, share knowledge and experiences, and learn from each other. Here are some tips for participating in study groups:
- Find a study group: Look for study groups in your area or online SAFe communities. You can also start your study group by reaching out to other SAFe practitioners or colleagues who are also preparing for the exam.
- Set clear goals and expectations: Set clear goals and expectations for the study group, such as the frequency of meetings, the topics to cover, and the format of the sessions. This will help keep the study group organized and productive.
- Prepare in advance: Prepare for study group sessions in advance by reviewing the material and topics to be discussed. This will help you participate actively in the discussion and contribute to the group’s learning.
- Participate actively: Active participation is crucial in study groups. Ask questions, share your knowledge and experiences, and engage in discussions to deepen your understanding of the material.
- Provide and receive feedback: Provide and receive feedback from other members of the study group. This will help you identify areas where you need to improve and learn from others’ experiences and perspectives.
Use Additional Resources
In addition to attending SAFe training courses, taking practice tests, and participating in study groups, there are numerous other resources you can use to prepare for the SAFe exam. Here are some additional resources to consider:
- SAFe website: The Scaled Agile Framework website provides a wealth of resources, including whitepapers, case studies, and FAQs, to help you prepare for the SAFe exam. Reviewing these resources can help you gain a deeper understanding of the framework and its principles.
- SAFe Community Platform: The SAFe Community Platform is an online community where SAFe practitioners can connect, share knowledge, and learn from each other. You can access a variety of resources, including forums, webinars, and training materials, to help you prepare for the exam.
- SAFe publications: There are numerous SAFe publications, such as the SAFe Distilled book, that provide comprehensive information on the framework and its principles. Reading these publications can help you gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and practices.
- YouTube videos: YouTube has a wealth of SAFe-related videos that cover various topics, including the SAFe exam. Watching these videos can help you visualize the concepts and practices and gain a better understanding of the material.
- Exam preparation guides: There are various exam preparation guides available online that provide tips, strategies, and best practices for preparing for the SAFe exam. Reviewing these guides can help you develop a study plan and identify the areas where you need to focus your efforts.
Create a Study Plan
Creating a study plan is crucial for effectively preparing for the SAFe exam. A study plan will help you stay organised, focused, and motivated as you prepare for the exam.
- Assess your current knowledge: Start by assessing your current knowledge of the SAFe framework. Identify the areas where you are strong and the areas where you need to improve.
- Set a study goal: Set a specific goal for your study efforts, such as passing the SAFe exam on the first attempt. Your goal should be realistic and achievable, and it should motivate you to study.
- Identify study materials: Identify the study materials you will use to prepare for the exam, such as SAFe training courses, practice tests, study guides, and additional resources.
- Schedule study sessions: Schedule study sessions on a regular basis, and stick to your schedule. Block out time in your calendar for studying, and treat it as a priority.
- Focus on one topic at a time: Focus on one topic at a time, and work through it systematically. Break each topic down into smaller, manageable chunks, and review each chunk thoroughly before moving on to the next.
- Take breaks: Taking regular breaks can help you stay focused and avoid burnout. Take short breaks every hour or so, and longer breaks every few hours.
- Review and assess your progress: Review your progress regularly, and assess whether you are meeting your study goals. If you are falling behind, adjust your study plan as needed.
Final Exam Preparation
As you near your SAFe exam date, it’s important to make sure you are fully prepared. Here are some final exam preparation tips to help you maximize your chances of passing the exam:
- Review your study materials: Go over your study materials, including your notes, practice tests, and study guides. Focus on areas where you may be weaker, and ensure that you have a good understanding of the material.
- Take additional practice tests: Taking additional practice tests can help you get a better sense of the types of questions that may appear on the exam. Use your practice test results to identify areas where you may need additional review.
- Stay calm and focused: During the exam, take deep breaths and stay calm and focused. Read each question carefully, and take your time answering each one.
- Flag questions for review: If you’re unsure of an answer, flag the question for review and come back to it later. This can help you avoid getting stuck on a difficult question and running out of time.
- Trust your preparation: Finally, trust in the preparation you’ve done leading up to the exam. Believe in your ability to pass the exam, and approach it with confidence and a positive attitude.
Preparing for the SAFe exam can seem daunting, but with the right strategies and resources, you can be successful. Start by understanding the exam format and content, and then focus on studying the SAFe Body of Knowledge. Use practice tests, attend training courses, participate in study groups, and use additional resources to enhance your understanding of the material. Finally, create a study plan and stick to it, taking regular breaks to avoid burnout. With the right preparation and mindset, you can pass the SAFe exam and achieve your certification, opening up new opportunities for career growth and advancement.
How long is the SAFe certification valid?
The SAFe certification is valid for one year, after which you must renew your certification by passing a renewal exam or completing continuing education activities.
What are the benefits of getting SAFe certified?
Getting SAFe certified can lead to new career opportunities, increased earning potential, and the ability to lead and implement agile practices in large enterprises.
Can I retake the SAFe exam if I fail?
Yes, you can retake the SAFe exam if you fail. There is a waiting period of 10 days before you can retake the exam, and there may be an additional fee which you have to pay.
Is there a specific order in which I should take SAFe certification exams?
There is no specific order in which you must take SAFe certification exams, but it is recommended that you start with the SAFe Agilist certification and work your way up to more advanced levels.
How long does it take to prepare for the SAFe exam?
The amount of time it takes to prepare for the SAFe exam depends on your prior experience with agile practices and the level of certification you are seeking. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months of dedicated study and preparation.
Can I take the SAFe exam online?
Yes, the SAFe exam can be taken online through the Scaled Agile website. However, some levels of certification may require in-person testing.
What happens after I pass the SAFe exam?
After passing the SAFe exam, you will receive your certification and can begin using the SAFe methodology in your work. You may also be eligible for new career opportunities and increased earning potential.
Can I get SAFe certified without taking the exam?
No, to become SAFe certified, you must pass the corresponding certification exam. However, there are various resources available to help you prepare for the exam.